Tuesday, July 13, 2010

How To: Easy Way to Peel Fruit

I have been wanting to make jam since last year and was completely committed to making it happen this year! No more slacking!

In order to make the jam (peach this time around!), the fruit has to be peeled, and who wants to spend lots of time with their paring knife? Not me. Here is what I did...


Step 1: Gently cut a large X in the bottom of the fruit. (This is where the skin will begin to pull away from itself.) Get a medium sized pot of water boiling.

Step 2: Place the fruit in the boiling water for a couple of minutes. Different fruits may take different amounts of time. I left the peaches in for approximately 2-3 minutes.

Step 3: Remove the fruit from the boiling water. Check the X in the bottom - if it has spread apart or is already peeling, you are good to go!

Step 4: Immediately place the fruit in an ice bath. Several ice cubes in a bowl of cold water will do the trick. Leave in for a minute or so, as this will finish the blanching process.

Step 5: Remove fruit and peel off the skin. It should come off very easily and in large pieces. Most of my peaches needed only 4 pieces removed to skin the entire fruit. (I usually leave each fruit in the water until I can peel it as I don't like them to dry.)

Step 6: Repeat Step 5 until you are all done. Then, on to your recipe!

Note: Some of my X's were a little deeper than I would usually cut. Not to worry though, as this should not affect the fruit or the recipe.

This method of peeling works well with peaches, plums, tomatoes, nectarines, apricots, etc. Happy peeling! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...