Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fruit Fly Trap

We brought home a watermelon last week that has since been eaten but left several fruit flies everywhere.  I am starting to wonder if these things can reproduce in a day...

I have tested different types of fruit fly traps over the past few summers, and this is the winner!



Get a glass.  I like to use a goblet so these little pesky guys can die in style.  Ha!
 

 

Add some red wine vinegar.  Make sure you swirl it or touch it with your finger to break the skin that can form on the surface.


Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Pokes holes with a dinner fork.  Go slowly and gently.  If the holes are too big, the fruit flies can climb right out again.  Also, a dinner fork tends to have longer and more slender tines than a dessert fork.  Go with the dinner fork if possible.


Wait.  This little guy was on the plastic and inside the glass less than five minutes after I assembled it.


I had a fruit fly block party in about 10-15 minutes!  I can't wait for tomorrow - hopefully none left!!


To dispose:
Leave it out overnight.  Make sure all flies are dead then remove plastic and discard.  Pour liquid down sink.

Repeat if needed.

Just a note:  I have also tested with white wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar.  The red wine vinegar seemed to attract the most fruit flies.

Linking up with some great parties!

16 comments:

DeeDee said...

What an excellent idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jill said...

I wonder if this works with house flies, too?

Agy said...

This is a great idea. When we leave any fruit (especially pineapples or bananas) on the kitchen top we get hoards of fruit flies. Will be trying this out!!!

Crafty Sideup said...

Cool idea .. I've been having one villain in my kitchen for almost 3 days..everytime I get a fly swatter he outsmarts me :o(

Red wine vinegar-top is on top of my grocery list

found u via Pat-CD.

Unknown said...

I'll have to try that. I love fruit, but I can't stand all the little followers that come with it!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Such a great idea! I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing

Jordan McCollum said...

Brilliant! Now if only it worked with wasps. (Got my first sting this morning from one that was IN MY HAIR. And we haven't found it. Joy.)

Kathy said...

Add a few drops of dish soap to wine or fruit juice. There's no need to cover with plastic wrap. The fruit flies drink it and die. Works so well!

Threeundertwo said...

Bonus points for the stylishness of the method! I love simple solutions like this. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday.

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

brilliant!

Anonymous said...

ha ha.. what a lovely idea.. Thanks for linking into Colours Dekor..

Janie said...

I tried a method of white vinegar and dawn soap last year and it did not work. It also didn't have cling wrap though, so I am DEFINITELY trying that. I hate gnats!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

I need to do this. Thank you!! If you get a chance I would love you to link your fruit fly trap up to More the Merrier Monday. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

That's a great tip! Definitely keep this handy just in case! Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays!

Shiloh said...

That's really helpful! Thanks so much for passing that on. I'm a new follower from the Gluesticks link party:)

Anonymous said...

I like to add a little baking soda to create carbon dioxide in the glass. It helps them die faster.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...