Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fabulous Cakes!


I have been super busy the last several days and I wanted to show you some of what I have been up to!

One thing you may know about me is that I love to bake. What you may not know is that I like to make cakes with rolled fondant icing!

I made this one for my daughter's first birthday. It actually matches her room - white, black, and pink! I didn't plan it - just worked out that way! It was a french vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting inside and almond-flavoured fondant. I used pink and black gel food colouring. The black dots on the thin light pink strips was done by sticking a toothpick in the gel and then poking the toothpick into the fondant. I also used an edible shimmer dust mixed with water that I painted on the fondant (those are the darker pink stripes). I absolutely HAD to put a bow on top, partially because bows = little girls, but also because I make hair bows! Couldn't let all the guests down who were expecting a bow cake...


I asked my son what he wanted for his birthday. First he wanted a four-tier blue cake with candy pieces on it. Then he changed his mind and went for penguins. A big shout out to my hubs who made the cute lil penguin critters. I added the 'snowballs' around the outside and powdered sugar for a snowy landscape! He loved his cake! Flavourings were the same as the pink cake above.

Close up of a penguin baby sliding down the 'ice'. Isn't he just the cutest?

And the newest cake to add to my repertoire... One of my longtime friends had her birthday party last week and I volunteered to bake the cake! I told her I was going for a bit of an eighties vibe. It's kind of hard to see the bottom layer, but it was tie dye! I added crazy bits and pieces all over it to represent confetti and streamers and balloons. Lime green stripes was next, with polka dots following on the next layer. The top layer had a giant daisy outline on it. And yes, it is supposed to be lopsided. Ha! Wondering what is coming out of the top? Yes! Feathers!!


She loved it and the cake was almost completely demolished that night! Not many leftovers at all! This time, the cake was vanilla and lime layers with cream cheese frosting. The fondant was flavoured raspberry! Yum yum!!


So whose birthday is next?!? ;)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...