Sunday, April 18, 2010

Easy Peasy Mac & Cheese

My son could survive solely on chocolate milk and mac & cheese. And not even homemade mac - I am talking the instant in-a-box mac & cheese. Le sigh!

Anyhow, I only serve this 1-2 times per month on those I-can't-get-off-the-couch nights and if hubby doesn't want to cook either. I like to add a few extras, like veggies and meat, to make me feel as though it is not quite so bad. (Side note: is anyone else watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? It is such a great show and I am so happy to see the positive change that is happening as a result. Remember the episode where he showed the parents and teachers how much fat and junk was in the food? Super duper nastiness right there, people!!)


So tonight was one of those nights and I added in 3 extras: peas, shallots, and tomato. I chopped the tomato and shallots super finely, and then the shallots went into the frying pan for a quick saute.
I don't add as much butter and milk as the directions say to - just about one tablespoon of butter and maybe a quarter cup of lowfat milk. After that was done, I added the chopped tomato and the sauteed shallot. I defrosted about one cup of peas and added them in at the last minute.
Not Julia Child, but it will do!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...