Thursday, April 7, 2011

What Comes First: the Apple or the Tree?

I found something super awesome the other day.  I was slicing up an apple and I found some of the seeds broken open and growing roots!  Isn't that crazy?  Sprouting seeds in my apple!  I have never, ever, ever seen that before.  The ones in the picture below are the ones I kept, and the kids are having fun checking the "seed status" every morning.  I am hoping we will be able to plant these once they get a little bit bigger.  I have never had any kind of fruit tree before, so this should be interesting!  Ha!

Arrow #1  The seed on the right that is breaking through the brown casing reminded me of a tulip bulb (dark and papery on the outside, smooth and white on the inside).

Arrow #2  This seed has turned green inside (I think it goes from white to green) and has the beginning of a tiny sprout bump by the arrow tip.

Arrow #3  This seed has completely shed its skin, is fully green, and has split in half from bottom to top.  The two halves are connected at the base where the root is growing.

Arrow #4  These two seeds are still in the apple as their roots are very long and intertwined.  I didn't want to try to separate the roots from the apple core and risk breaking them.  You can see how the roots are all coiled up together.  (I have since been able to remove them from the apple.)
 

4 comments:

TanyasTreasureTrove said...

Hi! Following you from
UBP! Hope you visit me
and return the follow!
:0)

Jennifer said...

Woah!! I've never seen apple seeds sprouting pre-planting. Did your apple taste funny?

glamourpuss said...

Lol, the apple tasted quite normal. :)

Tumblr said...

I enjoyed readingg this

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...