Monday, February 15, 2010

Glam Nursery Part 2

I found the changing pad cover first: Super Soft Dot by Carter's in IVORY! Well, actually they called it "ecru". Hallelujah! Finally, something in ivory. There were other options that matched: a dot bumper (reviews showed the length was too short for an average crib), skirting (with only a 12-14" hang - I wanted something to touch the floor), and sheets. You can buy it here.

I also bought 4 crib sheets - 2 in velour and 2 in cotton sateen (they are a bit shiny like satin!) which are amazing!! I wish I had velour sheets! Ha! So the bedding was chosen and the changing pad matched! You can get the velour sheets here and the cotton sheets here.

I got the curtains in a faux natural silk (a bit nubby in texture) and added a 3" black satin ribbon to the bottom. I attached it just above the hem. Here we are part way through the room:

I then added several sizes and colours of ribbon to the bottom of the crib skirting. I kept the same thick black satin ribbon as the curtains and added the others on top. I did sew these ones myself! Hooray for me!!! There is a slight bit of ruffling on the ribbon. The middle ribbon is ivory surrounded by skinny black ribbon and then surrounded by a light pink/ivory striped grosgrain.


We seriously considered painting the crib black. We finally decided not to since I was not going to sand it down to restore the wood if we had another baby. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the plain wood, but it has pinkish tones in it and I actually like having the bit of natural wood in the room.

For the paint, we went to Home Depot and checked out all the light pinks. My favourite brand of paint is Ralph Lauren. It usually has very little smell and goes on like a dream. I found two almost identical shades that I liked. My hubby actually thought they were the same.

We measured out the stripes (about 10" thick) and outlined them all in pencil. Next time I will use chalk instead. They all got striped out in painter's tape. Here's a little tip for painting crisp stripes: after the first colour is on and the second colour is taped out, go over the tape seam with the first colour and let it dry. This provides a barrier to ensure there is no paint seepage from the second colour. You should be left with perfectly crisp straight stripes.

Here is a close up of the stripes. Don't mind the unfinished lamp. It currently has about 25 yards of 7/8" black satin ribbon woven into it. I was expecting to use maybe 15 yards. That was a complete underestimation!

Stay tuned for Part 3!


For more on the nursery:

Read part 1 here.
Read part 3 here.
Read about the table here.
Read about the mobile here.

5 comments:

Lavender Lily said...

I LOVE the stripes! It is so sweet and calming for a little nursery. I found you through The DIY Show Off, and I will definitely keep you on my list.

glamourpuss said...

Thanks!

Shawn said...

You are so crafty! I love your curtains and the ribbon detailing. Great work!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, btw (http://www.fixingitfancy.com).

N @ Cheap Like a Birdie said...

I was curious where you got the curtains from, I love them!


Check Out- Cheap Like A Birdie Blog

glamourpuss said...

Thanks for the lovely comments! About the curtains: They are ivory faux silk purchased from JYSK. I added the black thick ribbon at the bottom. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...