Saturday, February 6, 2010

Old Fashioned Tapioca

I used to make this all the time before I got married. It was a favourite of my parents and my grandparents. My brother and sister were not too interested in the texture, but I loved it. I think you either love tapioca or you hate it. My hubby and son are not huge fans, so whenever I make it, my daughter and I pig out on it go to town with it!

I had fish-eye tapioca at school once. Is that what it's called? It looked like fish eyes and tasted like arrowroot cookies. I didn't mind that one but I wasn't going back for seconds, that's for sure.

This recipes uses instant tapioca. I got this recipe from an old cookbook of my mother's but I don't remember which one. I have made the recipe from the back of the tapioca box, but it gets two thumbs down from me.

Here it is!

Tapioca Pudding
(makes 4 servings)

1 1/2 cups milk
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 TBSP instant tapioca
2 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp vanilla or almond flavouring

1. In thick-bottomed pot, heat milk; add salt, 1/2 the sugar, and tapioca. Stir occasionally. Cook 20 minutes or until thick. (Usually is about 20 minutes bang on.)
2. Beat egg whites until stiff, then add remaining sugar. Beat until sugar is incorporated.
3. Beat egg yolks until light in colour. Add some tapioca, mix together, and return to pudding. Be sure to blend completely. Add flavouring. Cook 3 minutes until thick.
4. Remove from heat; fold in meringue. Tapioca should be light and fluffy.

Can top with fresh fruit or homemade jam.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...